Gremolata & Mushroom Stewed Beef

A sort of Italian spin on a classic beef stew. I tossed in some basalmic vinegar in place of red wine and let some fresh orange & rosemary infuse into the tomatoey broth. Super yummy, plus… this makes super lots.

• 5 lb chuck roast
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
  • 2 carrots, peeled & diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered or sliced
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup basalmic vinegar
  • 1 orange, sliced
  • 2 stalks rosemary + more for garnish
  • salt & pepper

Preheat your oven to 400ºF.

In a large dutch oven heat a few tablespoons of fat over medium-high heat. Trim your meat, removing any large pieces of fat, and portioning the meat into about 4 large hunks (for more brown-age & faster cooking).

Brown the meat hunks, on all sides, and set aside.

Add in the garlic, onion, carrot and celery. Let sweat for a few minutes, then add in the mushrooms, stock, tomatoes and vinegar. Let come to a simmer and remove from the heat.

Add in the browned beef hunks. Tuck in the rosemary stalks and top the whole thing off with orange slices.

Place in the oven, with a lid (slightly ajar) for 1.5 hours. Then remove the lid and cook another 1.5 hours. Cooking time with vary based on how large your beef hunks are. The beef is done when you can can easily shred it apart with a fork.

Once it’s done, go ahead and remove the beef hunks, shredding them and then add them back to the pot. Remove the orange slices and rosemary stalks before serving.

Serve with extra minced rosemary on top.

Sharon D.
    November 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm

this looks so yummy!! what do you think about putting it in the slow cooker after all the browning??

November 27, 2012 at 12:21 pm

i think that would work just fine. i busted the crock in my slow cooker and have yet to replace it. so all slow ‘n low cooking is being done in the oven.

November 26, 2012 at 11:07 am

This dish was SO good and easy enough to pass off on the boyfriend to make for dinner. We had abut 2lbs of stewing meat, and just doubled the veggies in order to have some leftovers. Cooking it in a crock pot for 1.5 hrs did the trick.

This is my favourite site for paleo recipes, keep up the good work and simplicity of ingredients and execution. It’s right up my alley!

November 30, 2012 at 9:34 am

I decreased crushed tomatoes to one 14.5 oz. can because I like stew to taste more beefy, less tomatoey. It was wonderful!

December 2, 2012 at 9:23 pm

This was fantastic. The vegetables were the best part. next time I think I’ll reduce the meat and at least double the veg. I did add more liquid – it seems that 90 minutes with the lid off at 400 is a long time! But I took it out about 20 minutes early, and it was amazing.

December 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Is there a specific type of “fat” you recommend for browning the meat? I noticed at the bottom of your page you list the oils you eat/cook with…do you just use one of these?

steve @
    December 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm

This looks stunning! I love meaty dishes with really rich sauces that take your breath away. This one looks like a perfect example. That meat looks like it will literally fall apart. On the cooking list for this weekend for sure. Cheers for the share. REAL FOOD!!!!

January 2, 2013 at 4:32 am

very very good! Definately a keeper. my kiddos loved it too.

Rachel E.
    February 5, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Made this last week and had to stop myself from licking the bowl! It was so meaty and satisfying — great recipe. I used half the meat amount (2.5lbs) and the same amount of sauce and it turned out great. Thank you for posting such interesting, delicious recipes!

February 20, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I hate to leave a negative comment, but this recipe gave everyone in my house a huge stomach ache. I followed the recipe with no substitutions. The amount of balsamic vinegar is huge compared to similar recipes. Martha Stewart’s recipe only has 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. I wish I had compared them before cooking. :(

February 24, 2013 at 6:21 pm

this turned out really rubbery and i think the cooking temp was too high for the recipe. very disappointed since chuck roast is super freaking expensive… as all the other ingredients are added up. i’ll probably have to throw the whole thing away.

July 16, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Mabye you should try adjusting your oven temp. I cook with a gas stove and I find it cooks very quickly, so I have to adjust accordingly.

March 6, 2013 at 5:39 pm

This was an amazing recipe! ! Ive made it twice. Its great over cauliflower mash also. This was so good it amazes me that you received negative comments.

March 7, 2013 at 10:59 pm

you can’t make everybody happy. there are haters for literally everything.

thanks so much for redeeming the recipe though!

September 3, 2013 at 7:27 pm

AMAZING! I’m not much of a cook, but this was so easy and DELICIOUS!!!!

The Roundup: Edition 3
    November 23, 2013 at 7:35 pm

[…] Health-Bent: Gremolata and Mushroom Beef Stew […]

February 17, 2014 at 11:52 am

I tried this recipe this weekend, absolutely delicious! Great website! Love the feeling!

August 18, 2014 at 8:29 pm

This recipe is the reason that the best meal I’ve ever had I cooked at home myself. I have annoyed people with how much I have told them how awesome this meal is and that they need to try it.