Pastrami’d Sirloin

pastrami'd sirloin

*Update – this recipe was submitted for the Sous Vide Supreme/ Tx Bar Organics Paleo Recipe Showdown. Please vote here for fan favorite and you can enter to win a $200 gift certificate to one of the sponsors.

Sirloin, the faux-filet it may be, but I wanted to inject some real flavor–beyond what just marinating could ever do. So I faux-pastrami’d the faux-filets. Pastrami usually involves a week of curing or a few days of wet brining + a handful of hours babysitting in the oven. Ain’t nobody got time for that. So not only did the SousVide sit on the countertop and do all the work for me, but it brined and cooked the meat at the same time. The end result will work great for dinner, of course, or taken along for snacking, just like deli meat.

• 2 (about 1 lb) TX Bar Organics Sirloin Steaks
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
  • 2 bay leaves, torn in half
  • 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
  • 2 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon powdered mustard
  • 1 teaspoon juniper berries, smashed with the back of a knife
  • 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, smashed with the back of a knife
  • 1 cup water

For the Brine

In a zip-top bag, combine all ingredients (except the meat). Close the bag and lay flat in the freezer. Freeze until solid.

For the Steak

Heat your SousVide Supreme Demi water oven to 130ºF. Trim steaks of any fat hanging out around the edges. Place steaks in a sealable bag. Take the brine out of the freezer & place the frozen brine ‘disc’ on top of the steaks. Vacuum seal the bag. Cook for 6 to 8 hours.

Remove from the water bath. Rinse off any spices that have adhered to the meat, and pat dry. In a large skillet, melt a few tablespoons of your favorite fat over high heat and sear both sides of the sirloins until a nice, brown crust has formed.

Slice and serve with ‘kraut and spicy mustard.

January 28, 2013 at 1:10 am

This looks like a lot of fun! I’ll have to give it a try when the yogurt finishes cooking.

January 28, 2013 at 5:27 pm

This looks so good and I would love to try the recipe…any advice if we don’t have a fancy water oven? haha :)

January 29, 2013 at 12:03 am

hmmmm….well, this was a spin off of a recipe we have coming out in the book (April), it takes longer to brine…but…yeah…basically wet brine the meat for 24 hours or so and then slow ‘n low roast it in the oven…probably 200 degrees if i had to guess…until internal temp reaches mid 130s. good luck.

January 29, 2013 at 12:35 pm

thanks, I’ll give it a shot with the crockpot maybe…might turn out weird, but might still be a tasty meat treat. That oven sounds epic…it might be next on the kitchen gadget list. Looking forward to the release of your cookbook in April! Thanks for all the delish recipes!!!

Liz N.
    January 29, 2013 at 12:33 pm

We love our Sous Vide machine! Eric (Mr. Chef Hubby) is the expert at using this gadget. He’s made some amazing things with it, namely Sous Vide Chicken Curry Thighs/Breasts which are so moist and delicious! We will have to try this one very soon! Who doesn’t love pastrami?!

Liz N.
    January 29, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Oh, and I voted for your recipe!

January 29, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Why did you freeze the brine first? Couldn’t you just add it to the bags, or did you do that to make the vacuum seal less messy.

BTW, I just voted for your recipe in the contest…it was the one I wanted to try first, but my, don’t they all look amazing? And, for those of you who aren’t sure about getting a Sous Vide, we took the plunge and LOVE it. We use it at least once a week and it makes our lives so much easier.

January 29, 2013 at 11:16 pm

yes, the bag won’t seal if you put liquid in it…sucks it out and makes a mess. how’d we figure that out…the hard way.

January 30, 2013 at 9:05 am

Just wanted to let you know that I’m not a regular reader of your website and when I was looking through the recipes for the contest I thought yours was the best and I voted for you. Great job! And now I have a new blog to add to my list of daily reads!

February 6, 2013 at 1:32 pm

This looks amazing. Pastrami is my favorite of the deli meats…can’t wait to try this. I’m voting for you now!

08.28.13 | CrossFit 312
    August 28, 2013 at 1:00 am

[…] article gluten free is not a punishment recipe paleo sous vide pastrami sirloin […]

Marilyn Siverson
    November 7, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Love all this recipe! If you’re looking for a grass-fed beef source, this farm in Florida supplies all of our meat. They’re a small family producing some of the finest grass-fed beef I’ve ever eaten.