Most Popular Pork Sides

Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Fries

paleo bacon wrapped sweet potato fries

[updated from 08/19/2010]

Mmmmmm, bacon candy canes. This could be a side dish or a meal all on it’s own, who am I to say?

• 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into matchsticks about the width of your pinky finger.
  • 8 oz bacon, don’t use thick cut

Get your oven to 425°F and place your oven rack in the center of the oven. Slice each piece of bacon in half, lengthwise and then in half, widthwise. So you’ll have 4 strips cut from 1 piece of bacon. Wrap 1 strip of bacon around 1 matchstick sweet potato. Lay on a baking sheet that’s been lined with a silicone pat or parchment paper. Repeat until all the bacon is gone. If you have left over sweet potatoes, toss ’em on the pan too, they’ll cook beautifully in all the rendered bacon fat. Bake for 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes feel soft. Then turn the oven to broil and let the tops get crispy.

Optional: Serve with the dressing (minus the vinegar) from Chipotle Slaw

liz stapp
    August 19, 2010 at 2:11 pm

This looks yummy, always looking for a snack thx

October 5, 2010 at 3:30 pm

These are wicked, even without the dip. They turn out to be sweet bacon candy. Thanks?

November 12, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I knew there was no way these could be bad! I didn’t even bother with the soaking or the dip. I am suspicious that any long amount of time would give diminishing returns in standing water. I also don’t know if the soaking is a good idea nutritionally because it will leach out water soluble nutrients including a good amount of potassium. It also goes against paleo tradition- from what I have gathered potatoes are normally cooked over a fire without any pre-soaking.

November 13, 2010 at 2:42 pm

the soaking of the potato isn’t a necessary step, it was something we wanted to experiment with–as soaked white potatoes fry up crisper after they’ve been soaked due to loss of starch.

from my understanding, soaking doesn’t lead to loss of nutrients, so much as overcooking would. as far as water soluble vitamin loss, you’re looking at vitamin b and vitamin c–both of which can easily be consumed by eating citrus, peppers, greens and meat.

November 14, 2010 at 12:18 am

Just made these tonight, and they were outstanding!!! Thank you for posting this great recipe.

November 14, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Yeah, I wouldn’t be concerned about Vitamin C or B vitamins, but potassium is a nutrient that you can’t just eat a lime to get, and those eating large amounts of meat in particular might not want to lose the chance to get potassium from potatoes.

There is some decent information on how to reduce potassium in potatoes available because those with kidney problems have issues with potassium. In practice, sweet potatoes might be different then normal potatoes.

I made it without any soaking. I greased the pan with some leftover bacon grease first instead of using a baking sheet. I think the main aspect of this recipe to get correct is the size of the fry. Too big and I end up either not cooking the fry all the way through or burning it. Too small lets the bacon overpower the fry. I may need to get a mandolin now! I will keep experimenting- I would like to try out lower temperature also.

Just shared this dish with friends now and got a rave review- thanks!

November 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm

mandolins are the pretty sweet. except when you slice your fingers open–as i’ve neglected to use the guard a few times. it’s a must buy, though!

February 1, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I made these for a dinner party and they were quite a hit (even if half the attendees were vegetarians). Couldn’t find any avocado oil in the city so instead we made mayo, blended it up with an avocado and added some cumin. Such a treat, thanks for the recipe!

February 2, 2011 at 4:06 pm

veggies ate them? whoa nelly! very clever fix on the mayo. glad you enjoyed emily!

• Reply – SUNDAY 11.02.06
    February 6, 2011 at 1:56 pm

[…] 11.02.06 Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Fries […]

Crossfit Bethesda » 2/8/11
    February 7, 2011 at 10:15 pm

[…] Recipe of the Day: Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Fries – Health Bent […]

March 12, 2011 at 7:47 am

Wait a minute, in the ingredient list it says don’t use thick cut bacon but later on says you want thick cut, not thin. Which works better?

March 13, 2011 at 11:44 am

yup, beverly is correct, it’s thick cut potatoes.

…and you are very welcome beverly!

March 12, 2011 at 2:16 pm

It looks like they want a thick cut of the potato, not the bacon.

This looks marvelous! I made bacon-wrapped butternut squash for Thanksgiving, and that dipping sauce sounds like it would send everything just over the top in a very, very good way! Thank you so much for all of your awesome recipes.

January 16, 2012 at 6:24 pm

These were delicious. I didn’t soak; didn’t make the dip. Delicious on their own!! Even delish cold right out of the frig, I found out before I went to bed last night. These have to be a special treat ==== too good to have around all the time!! Thanks for the great recipe – a delicious addition to lunch or dinner AND a healthy, sweet snack!!! Can’t go wrong!

February 11, 2012 at 4:23 pm

yeah baby…two of my favorite things to eat!

February 12, 2012 at 9:19 am

These are so great! Easy to make and everyone loved them, the lime juice adds great flavor

Andrea R
    February 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I see comments about soaking & mayo dip. But I’m not seeing it in the original post? Am I totally missing it?

February 15, 2012 at 3:34 pm

i updated the recipe, separating the sweet potatoes from the dip…trying to get a good photo of the dip before i re-post that as well. i’ll get on it for ya andrea.

Andrea R
        February 16, 2012 at 9:14 am

basketball training
    February 15, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Wow…these are going in the meal plan for next week. Thanks for sharing!

February 17, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I’m so excited for the day you two decide to marry me! It will be an awesome day! Hey, I blogged about you today!

David dreher
    March 24, 2012 at 3:26 pm

My wife made these the other night, one word INCREDIBLE!!

Sandi B
    March 26, 2012 at 1:55 am

I can’t begin to tell you how happy this recipe makes me 😀

Bacon is my favorite food group and sweet potatoes the one vegetable on Dukan that I absolutely miss the most!! About 3 more weeks until I’m at my goal weight… I think I’ll make these with the Paleo Shepherd’s Pie!!! Yummy!!!

April 7, 2012 at 10:51 am

Wowww… this is great!

Rachel @ Bakerita
    April 17, 2012 at 3:00 am

Woah. Mindblown. This is genius and horrible and gonna be very bad for my waistline…and I’m so excited.

April 17, 2012 at 8:57 am

What an awesome idea. I feel like I should buy the ingredients and make these immediately :)

April 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Lordy lordy! Bacon wrapped sweet potatoes? You are a very naughty girl :-)

Kevin (Closet Cooking)
    April 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm

These would be so decadently good!

Caiti Jayne
    May 7, 2012 at 7:17 pm

saw this recipe this morning, gave it a whirl while my boyfriend was on his way home from work. WOW!! have never experienced a celebration in my mouth before until now. we are making them again tomorrow. both of us couldnt believe what an amazing collection of sweet, juicy, delicious flavours this all brings together.

Sim Rosas
    May 8, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I happened to have the ingredients and thought, why not… so I made this yesterday and it was awesome! Big hit with the boys in my house as well as my 21 month old daughter! (She had fun unwrapping the bacon as she ate). Thank you so much for all your recipes they have really made transitioning to a paleo life style easy for our family!

BTW if anyone is intimidated by the prep time, it took 2 of us less than 15 minutes to prep and get everything in the oven. My recommendation is to use kitchen shears to cut the bacon- mutch easier than a knife! And we had leftover sweet potatoes as we used big ones… and we threw them in and they really did cook up beautifully in the bacon grease. Just sprinkled them with salt after!

May 10, 2012 at 9:17 am

hahahaha, i need to start eating like a two year old! too funny.

so glad everyone enjoyed them and more importantly, i’m glad it was super quick prep!

July 21, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Made these today and my kids couldn’t get enough! Made a homemade buffalo mayo for dipping.
    May eat this once a week until I get sick of it. And that may never happen.

Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Fries - Clever Housewife
    December 29, 2012 at 8:40 pm

[…] to take to Game Night with the ladies, and came across Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Fries by Health-Bent. It was just exactly what I was looking for, and it was a hit!! These were so simple and even […]

101 Healthy Low-Carb Recipes That Taste Incredible
    May 21, 2013 at 12:39 pm

[…] here. […]

J'Marinde Shephard
    October 13, 2013 at 3:56 am

This is REALLY Low carb?!? YAY!!!

March 18, 2014 at 12:45 am

So, soak or don’t soak the potatoes? Did we figure that one out? I’m going to try this later this week.

An AIP Father's Day | Alt-ternative Autoimmune
    March 27, 2014 at 8:32 pm

[…] Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Fries […]

May 14, 2014 at 10:59 am

How can these be low carb when sweet potatoes are high in carbs?

Bill Street
      April 3, 2015 at 9:42 am

I don’t like the lack of a nutritional panel for these. They look wonderful, but I thought potatoes were full of carbs? Can we get a carb count for the finished dish, or portion size. I’d hate to derail my low carb diet.

September 23, 2014 at 9:25 am

I love this recipe. I wish there was a printable version.

Chelsea Doane
    March 3, 2015 at 5:48 pm

I was just wondering how many calories are in the bacon wrapped sweet potato fries?

Bill Street
    April 3, 2015 at 9:50 am

Here’s the nutrition info for a similar recipe from another site:
    Nutrition Info

Serving Size: 1 (42 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 4
    Amount Per Serving% Daily ValueCalories 64.6Calories from Fat 32 50%Total Fat 3.6 g5%Saturated Fat 1.2 g6%Cholesterol 5.4 mg1%Sodium 84.5 mg3%Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g2%Dietary Fiber 1 g3%Sugars 1.4 g5%Protein 1.4 g2%

It looks like you’re ok with 1 serving for low carb. Just remember that one serving is only 1/4 of one sweet potato.