Eggs Pork

Pork Fried Rice

A buddy of ours at our CrossFit box asked us if we had a Paleo style Fried Rice recipe. We had never tried, so we immediately set to work. The rice is replaced with cauliflower we pulverized in the food processor. This recipe messes up a few more dishes than I like to clean, but it was completely worth it…and it made 4 giant servings, hello leftovers! Feel free to add peas, carrots, zukes, whatever you’ve got–clean out that fridge!

• 1 lb. ground pork
  • 4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 shallot or 2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 inch long piece of ginger
  • 4 green onions, sliced
  • 2T + 2T reduced sodium, wheat free soy sauce
  • 1T + 1T  chili garlic sauce
  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • 2 eggs

In a saute pan add the pork and break it up into pieces with your spatula. Let me school you real quick in extracting flavor from ground meat–let it cook until it’s brown. That means, don’t stop cooking it until you physically see a brown crust on it, just like if you were searing a steak or chicken.

While the pork is browning, chop the cauliflower head into chunks and throw into your food processor. Pulverize until it’s turned into crumbles, this shouldn’t take but about 2 minutes. Remove the cauliflower and reserve in a bowl. Since the bowl of the processor is already dirty, you might as well let it do some more work for you and pulverize the ginger and shallots.

Once the pork is brown, brown, brown add the mushrooms, 1/2 the green onions, 2 T soy sauce, 1T garlic chili sauce, and the shallots and ginger. Let it come together and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove the mixture from the pan and put into your serving dish.

Add the cauliflower to the saute pan. What you’re trying to do is cook the cauliflower crumbles. Keep your eye on it and stir it around every minute or so. It should be finished in about 8 minutes. Taste it to make sure it’s soft and doesn’t have an over cauliflower-y taste. Add 2 more T of soy sauce and 1 more T of chili garlic sauce. Place the cauliflower into the serving bowl.

In a small bowl, crack 2 eggs and whisk together with a fork. Add the eggs to the saute pan and constantly stir so the eggs scramble into small pieces. They should finish cooking in about 2 minutes. Add the eggs to the serving dish.

Add the other 1/2 of the green onions, toss everything around to coat and serve immediately.

April 27, 2010 at 1:24 pm

We made this dish over the past weekend- amazing! I’m pretty sure I could have fooled most people into thinking it was rice! :o)

August 11, 2010 at 11:25 am

I’m going to try this recipe with some sesame oil! Tasty…

August 11, 2010 at 1:58 pm

oh my gosh…i had to look at the recipe again…i can’t believe we didn’t put it in there. must not have had any. that’s definitely going to be awesome!

November 3, 2010 at 8:13 am

I tried this recipe with some bell peppers thrown into the mix. Soooooo gooood :).

At what point in the process would you add the sesame oil? Or would you maybe substitute it for something else? I will definitely have to try that the next time I’m making this.

November 3, 2010 at 12:03 pm

sesame oil does well as a ‘finishing’ oil. once it’s heated it becomes rather tasteless. so i’d drizzle it over the top or stir it in at the last minute. glad you liked it!

April 4, 2011 at 7:30 am

tried this, it was awesome!
    just wondering if you had any nutritional info.?

Paleo Pork Fried Rice
    December 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm

[…] Health Bent – Pork Fried Rice […]

January 16, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I am thankful that this post was still up over a year later for those of us just coming around to the paleo way. Heaven. Thanks!

January 17, 2012 at 7:54 pm

it’s still up, though it’s in desperate need of new photo. bleh. it is tasty though, i promise.

January 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm

My God, what a kickass recipe, it was yummy for my tummy. I felt guilty for eating it, but since it was Paleo, I TORE IT UP 😀 you guys kick ass and keep those recipes coming.

January 17, 2012 at 7:50 pm

oh my gosh, thank you sooooo much tuan! so glad you enjoyed it!

January 31, 2012 at 8:42 am

I really want to make this ‘rice’ but the link to the chili garlic sauce doesn’t work. Can you send me that recipe or post it on here? Thank you!

February 4, 2012 at 2:48 pm

it’s not a recipe. it’s a link to where to buy it. you can just sub hot sauce.

David Abram
      March 1, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Tried this tonight as a side dish, so i omitted the pork.. but i did cook it in my wok on my homemade high pressure wok burner (bragging a little, what of it?). . Was awesome, and different.. Im not one to try to “fake” anything in the kitchen, so having alternates is fantastic. For example i dont really care for cauliflower faked mashed potatoes, but if i keep the cauliflower in bite-size pieces i like it just fine.

Anyways, great recipe, and i love the shallots in place of onion

David Abram
        March 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm

(wasn’t meant to be a reply, oops)

March 5, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I’m new to paleo eating and wasn’t sure what to expect when making this, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was really good! Can’t wait to try new recipes. Thank you!!

March 5, 2012 at 11:27 pm

This was so tasty! I also loved that it was so easy to make. I literally went wrong on every step, and totally bought all the wrong stuff, and it STILL turned out great!! Mine ended up super spicy but oh so delicious! Thanks!!!

March 7, 2012 at 11:44 am

you couldn’t possibly have gone wrong at every step if it turned out so well for you! give yourself more credit than that!

March 27, 2012 at 3:13 pm

This was AWESOME!!! My family could not even tell that it was cauliflower and not rice. My 9, 6 and 3 year old loved it! Thanks for an awesome recipe:) And by the way, if you take recipe requests I would love to see a spanish/mexican “rice” recipe. I have tried making it with cauliflower and it never turns out right. I would love to see what you guys could create. Thanks again!

March 28, 2012 at 3:00 pm

i’m on it! (and i’m also on re-photographing this pic, bleh!)

April 15, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Yet another awesome paleo recipe that’s ridiculously delicious! Found via Pinterest, so please let people keep pinning, and don’t change the link!
    I definitely needed only a half a head of cauliflower, and if you have a little fluctuation, the chili garlic sauce can be made using half hoisin sauce and half sweet thai chili sauce.

July 23, 2012 at 3:07 am

We were amazed how mega-awesome this tasted! We made a couple of tasty additions – lots of coriander / cilantro, and we swapped half the cauliflower for some shredded carrots and parsnips we had left over from another meal. Thanks heaps for posting. :)

August 12, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Great recipe!!! The cauliflower as “rice” was really amazing and made it low carb.
    I will definitely be making this dish again as it’s a great for eating primal and healthy.

November 18, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I just made this to take in my lunch to work and it is DELICIOUS! I was eating it out of the bowl instead of putting it away for tomorrow. YUM! Thanks for the recipe!

Della Nova
    January 17, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Will this work as a make-ahead recipe? (i.e. make on Saturday, eat on Tuesday?)

trey t