Beef Eggs Most Popular Pork Soups

Bacon & Egg Breakfast Chili

Adding bacon and eggs to a chili is a really great way to stretch a pound of ground meat. I originally set out to make this in the crock pot, as I’m trying to broaden my crockery cookery horizons, but then promptly realized that cooking this over an open flame would actually allow it to enter my mouth much sooner. Make this the night before, reheat & eat in the a.m. and breakfast (+ lunch) is done.

• 1 lb ground beef (or breakfast sausage)
  • 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
  • 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 to 3 cups beef stock
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & diced small
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons hot sauce
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • salt
  • 1/2 lb bacon
  • eggs (one egg for each serving)
  • 1/4 avocado (per serving), or if you’re avo-greedy like me, 1/2 avocado per serving

In a large soup pot, brown the meat and and saute the onions until cooked through (I cooked the meat & onions at the same time). Add in the tomatoes, sweet potatoes and stock, followed by all the spices. Let simmer until the sweet potatoes have cooked through, about 20-30 minutes.

Meanwhile, chop up and saute the bacon until crispy. Reserve until ready to serve. Then, fry or scramble one egg for each person you plan on serving.

Serve by scooping the chili in a bowl, top with the fried/scrambled egg, some crispy bacon & some avocado slices.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates)
    November 8, 2012 at 9:37 am

This has my name written all over it. I’ve been a bit chili crazy lately – eating tons of chili topped sweet potatoes! I’ve never thought about breakfast chili – yum!

November 8, 2012 at 11:09 am

Yummy! By the way, thanks for not making eggs the central part of this recipe. I’m allergic to eggs and I’m frequently disappointed by yummy sounding paleo recipes I can’t modify.

Shawn Lawton
    November 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I am digging this idea—occasionally, I tire of eating straight up eggs and bacon. This sounds like a tasty diversion from the norm—Thanks!

Susan Hazel
    November 9, 2012 at 12:09 am

It’s like…you invented Breakfast Ropa Vieja. You people are amazing. AMAZING.

November 14, 2012 at 12:19 pm

This was really tasty for breakfast. The spice of the chili with the egg and the bacon – fabulous. Not so much by itself when I tried having it for lunch. Still good but really sweet without the bacon and egg.

November 15, 2012 at 12:53 pm

it’s odd how sweet the sweet potatoes make it taste, isn’t it? but yeah, all together, it’s the perfect combo of textures and flavors.

Jill Bosch
    November 18, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I made this recipe today… I allowed it to simmer for about an hour since I had a smoothie before I started cooking, and wasn’t starving. This is probably the best tasting chili I’ve ever had. And the egg, bacon, and avocado just made it that much better. Can’t wait for breakfast tomorrow :o)

November 18, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Thanks so much Jill. The spice blend for the chili was inspired by our chorizo recipe we have in the book (date still TBD)…stay tuned!

Thanks again.

December 3, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I will be making this soon, it sounds amazing! How many servings does it yield?

December 8, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I have been eating this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I was hesitant at first about the sweet potatoes going into a chili, but it really works! I will definitely make this chili again!

December 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Totally getting made with venison…

Meal Planning for the MONTH of January | Life as a Lilly blog
    December 28, 2012 at 5:26 pm

[…] Chickpea, Beet, and Apple Panini […]

January 2, 2013 at 9:03 am

How many servings does this make please ? :)

January 12, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Just made this after my WOD this am. Wow, it’s excellent. I used tomatoes with chilis and it definitely gave it extra kick. Love it! – Jay, Charlotte NC

101 Healthy Low-Carb Recipes That Taste Incredible
    May 21, 2013 at 12:40 pm

[…] powder, onion powder, lime juice, hot sauce, paprika, salt, bacon, eggs and avocado. Instructions here. […]

June 27, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Do you add two types of paprika?

June 30, 2013 at 6:58 pm

This was really good, but I like the flavour of the hot dog chili from your book a little better. I might try making that chili with sweet potato added and topping it like this instead of with hot dog toppings. Chili for breakfast is completely brilliant for those of us who are super lazy and really just need to microwave a bowl of something-or-other before work.

October 22, 2013 at 8:46 pm

This recipe was so yummy! I kinda fell off the wagon on cooking, but I made this a few months ago and we couldn’t get enough of this. We used the breakfast sausage (adds great flavor). I think I’m going to pick up some sweet potatoes this week so we can enjoy it again.

March 22, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I just made this and I thought it was absolutely scrumptious. I cooked my egg sunny side up and the flavor of the egg and chili, the crunch of the bacon, together with the creaminess of the avocado was incredible. Hubby loved it, too, but without the avocado (he doesn’t like them, go figure). Outstanding recipe.

Paleo Chili Recipe Bacon | Paleo Recipes
    August 31, 2014 at 3:20 pm

[…] Health-Bent | Recipes | Bacon & Egg Breakfast ChiliHealth-Bent – Adding bacon and eggs to a chili is a really great way to stretch a pound of ground meat. … The spice blend for the chili was inspired by our chorizo recipe we have in the book (date still TBD)…stay tuned! … Paleo Breakfast Bacon Cups | Paleo Recipes on Paleo Bacon and Eggs To Go; […]

Paleo Breakfast With Bacon | The Paleo Recipe Blog
    November 15, 2014 at 10:12 pm

[…] Health-Bent | Recipes | Bacon & Egg Breakfast ChiliHealth-Bent – 20 thoughts on “ Bacon & Egg Breakfast Chili ” Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) 8 Nov 2012 Reply. This has my name written all over it. I’ve been a bit chili crazy …… […]

Chili com bacon e abacate - Comida de Verdade