Yield: 1 serving. Just kidding (but not really)
- butter, for the skillet
- squirt of lemon juice, about 1 teaspoon
- 2 lbs apples, peeled, cored, & chopped
- 1/3 cup apple juice concentrate (in the freezer aisle)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
For the Topping
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 ounces (1/2 stick) cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon apple juice concentrate
Place your oven rack in the middle of the oven and turn on broil.
In a medium oven-safe skillet (cast iron recommended), melt a few tablespoons of butter of medium-high heat. Add in the lemon juice, apples, apple concentrate, raisins, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Stir to combine and let cook until the a.j. concentrate has reduced and things get bubbly, about 5-6 minutes, then turn off the heat.
In a small bowl, combine the tapioca and coconut flours. Toss in the butter and use your hands to create small pea-sized crumbs. Gently stir in apple juice concentrate.
Sprinkle the mixture evenly on top of the apples and place in the oven. Broil until the top has lightly browned, about 4-6 minutes.