Beef Treats

Okay, I’m going to start right out by saying these suckers have the same carbohydrate load as a regular corn chip set of nachos. We just had a hankering for a cheat night, but really didn’t want to ingest corn, wheat or other cereal grains. We are so embarrassingly barbaric with these, we lay down oven mitts on our coffee table, place the hot pan on top and sit on the floor and scarf them down with a fork. Let me also say, the salsa recipe is ‘da bomb dot com’, it’s cheaper to make this than to go out and buy a jar.

• 1 package sweet potato chips, we used Terra brand
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 1 t cumin
  • 1 c raw cheddar cheese (optional)
  • 3 green onions, sliced
  • 1/2 head romaine lettuce, chopped
  • s&p

Salsa Ingredients

• 15 oz crushed fire roasted tomatoes with juice, we used Muir Glen brand
  • 1 t granulated garlic
  • 3 T pickled jalapeno slices (about 12)
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 3/4 t allspice
  • 2 handfuls cilantro

Guacamole Ingredients

• 2 avocados
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 t chili garlic sauce
  • salt
  • 1/2 handful of cilantro

Brown the meat in a saute pan with a bit of fat, and add the chili and cumin. While the meat is browning, empty a bag of sweet potato chips on a baking sheet and spread them out as evenly as you can. Toast at 350°F for about 8 minutes.

To make the salsa and guacamole, just blend all the ingredients (one set at a time, of course) in a food processor.

Assemble by topping the chips with ground meat, cheese, lettuce, green onions,  salsa and guacamole.

Also, just to add insult to injury, we decided to partake in this….

…and it was delicious. Yes it has agave, but sometimes you gotta just pick and choose your battles when you’re having a cheat.

August 11, 2010 at 9:44 am

A Paleo recipe my 4 year old will actually eat (minus the salsa). I hate making two dinners so this will work out great. Looking forward to trying the salsa. As always, the pictures look amazing.

August 11, 2010 at 1:56 pm

have you tried the coconut chicken nuggets? i’ve had some great response from parents with these…

Liz N
    August 12, 2010 at 9:09 am

Those nachos look amazing! I’ve tried the So Delicious Vanilla and Neopolitan coconut ice cream flavors but never seen the German Chocolate. OMG. I’ll say it again. OMG.

January 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Try making Kabocha, Butternut Squash and Carrot Chips and using them as the “nachos” MMMMmmmmmmmmm.

January 10, 2012 at 12:19 pm

OMG!! Me and my 4 kiddos just devoured these nachos!! They are so delicious! I will be making these again and again! THANKS!!

January 12, 2012 at 11:28 am

yay! always love to hear when the kiddos enjoy something we make! thanks christina!

January 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm

What about using plantain chips? Would that work too? Thanks!

January 17, 2012 at 7:56 pm

that’s a great question…that i have no answer to. i don’t know if they’d get soggy…it would depend on thickness of the cut and the sogginess factor of a plantain, which i don’t know.

i would totally try it if it were me.

Lauren P.
    November 29, 2012 at 4:31 pm

That is EXACTLY how we used to eat nachos (sitting on the floor around the coffee table right off of the baking sheet), too! I’m looking forward to trying this version as a treat soon. Thanks for the idea!

P.S. I’ve loved all of the other recipes I’ve tried from your site. Thank you!

January 15, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Made these last weekend for my ‘crew’. They were delicious! My husband (Mr. Paleo-skeptic) was extremely skeptical of nachos without cheese…but LOVED them. We all did. Thanks so much for this recipe.

February 3, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Oh my goodness… These are the BEST nachos I have ever had. I am the sole Paleo-eater in my household, so my husband and son were a little skeptical when I made these. The moans and sighs of pleasure were quite gratifying! Thanks for another great recipe!!